How is Laser Technology Used?
The use of laser technology in the dental chair is very advantageous for certain situations. When there is a specific area that needs to be removed or trimmed, Kneib Dentistry uses the DEKA Laser to focus on a precise area of soft tissue. Especially when there can not be any damage in the surrounding area of the target, the laser is perfect for the job. The technology provides patients with precision treatment that may minimize pain and recovery time.
The major benefits of using laser technology are:
- Procedures involving tissue removal or recontouring may not require sutures or stitches.
- Some laser treatment may not require anesthesia.
- The high-energy light beam minimizes bleeding because it aids in the clotting (coagulation) of exposed blood vessels, thus decreasing or stopping blood loss.
- The high-energy beam minimizes bacterial infections because it sterilizes the area being treated.
- Damage to surrounding tissue is minimized.
- Wounds heal faster and tissues can be regenerated.
The application of lasers in dentistry opens the door for dentists to perform a wide variety of dental procedures they otherwise may not be capable of performing. Dentists using lasers in dentistry have become adept at incorporating the state of the art precision technology into a number of common and uncommon procedures.
Before Tissue Recontouring
After Tissue Recontouring
Schedule an Appointment
- Crown Lengthening: The laser can reshape gum tissue (soft tissue laser) and bone (hard tissue laser) to expose healthier tooth structure referred to as crown lengthening. Such a reshaping provides a stronger foundation for the placement of restorations.
- Gummy Smiles: Dental lasers can reshape gum tissue to expose healthy tooth structure and improve the appearance of a gummy smile
- Muscle Attachments (frenula): A laser frenulectomy is an ideal treatment option for children who are tongue-tied and babies that are unable to breast feed adequately due to limited tongue movement. A laser frenectomy may also help to eliminate speech impediments.